Province ‘continuing to work on’ 2015 recommendation designed to help private woodlot owners

new brunswick forest products The New Brunswick government still hasn't implemented a two-year-old recommendation to give private woodlot owners a more reliable share of the wood being sold to major forestry mills. Officials from the Department of Energy and Resource Development said staff are "continuing to work" on the recommendation from a 2015 report by Auditor General Kim MacPherson. At the time, the department said it would either comply with the law or suggest that it be changed. "That could be legislative changes, or it may be, if we can figure out a way to approach the legislation that's there today, it may not be legislative changes," Assistant Deputy Minister Tom MacFarlane said Tuesday at meeting of the legislature's public accounts committee. "Neither has happened so far, right?" asked Green Party Leader David Coon.
'The only thing we know for sure is you're still not complying with the regulation, correct?'- David Coon, Green Party leader
"I think we're continuing to work on that recommendation," MacFarlane said. That prompted a laugh from Coon. "Which part?" he asked. MacPherson wrote in 2015 that the province was not complying with a section of the Crown Lands and Forests Act. It says the minister of natural resources "shall ensure that private woodlots are a source of wood supply consistent with the principles of proportional supply and sustained yield." MacPherson said at the time that while private woodlot sales were growing, they represented a smaller share of overall wood sales to mills in the province. At the same time, wood harvested by major forestry companies on leased public land made up a larger share.

Leave a reply

Giv'er Fredericton
2281 King George Hwy
Miramichi NB, E1N 3A6

Website Support & Design by